Saturday, August 6, 2011

Change your Want-To

The other night I was listening to Beth Moore. She said several things that really hit home with me. I would like to share them, but don't want to have to try to directly quote her, so understand that several of the thoughts in this post will not be originally from me.

We usually do what we want to do, it it just a human thing to do. If we want to be able to change we need to change our want-to. We can give God obedience because we know it is the right thing to do, but when we want to do as God asks us it becomes part of who we are, thus easier.

I am not sure I am expressing it correctly, but when she was talking I thought of a conversation I had with a friend a few months ago: I told him that God says He will give us the desires of our heart, but that the more we love God the more His desires become our own. At the time I said I thought that was semi sneaky of God, but in taking a closer look at it I see a beautiful expression of God's love for us. He changes our "want-to" as we know Him better and delight in Him.

When we want to do a task it becomes a joy and not just a duty. There will be times when we obey because it is the right thing to do and that does please God, but I was challenged through Beth's talk to ask God to change my "want-to". Especially in the areas I struggle with, in the things that are hard.

I want to please God, and I want my heart's desires to reflect my love for Him. I want to "want-to" obey and please Him and to live life for Him because it is part of who I am, not just because it is good and right.

So my challenge to myself and to you is to ask God to change your want-to the next time you are struggling with something. Let His desires become your desires. 

No comments: